Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Oxfam America

 

 


Some of you may have had the opportunity to attend the Oxfam America Hunger Banquet that took place yesterday, or maybe you have attended a Hunger Banquet in the past.

The Hunger Banquet is a powerful event that allows people to experience the inequality of food distribution that occurs around the world. I remember at my first Hunger Banquet, sitting on the floor with a handful of rice, being moved to tears by experiencing poverty at a level that millions of people are subjected to. They say that 1 out of every 7 people goes to bed hungry. This statistic really hit home for me because I have 7 people in my own family. I remember thinking: What if this was one of my own family members having that small amount of food to eat on a daily basis? And I knew right then that this issue was going to become very important to me.

Oxfam America is a "global organization working to right the wrongs of poverty, hunger and injustice."
Thier vision: A just world without poverty.
Their mission: To create lasting solutions to poverty, hunger and social injustice.

Instead of just providing charity to poor people, Oxfam works on empowering people and communities through creating sustainable solutions that will last.

One of their big campaigns is the GROW Campaign. The mission of this Campaign is to "build a better food system: one that sustainably feeds a growing population and empowers poor people to earn a living, feed their families, and thrive."

If you are interested in learning more about the work of Oxfam America, you can visit their website: www.oxfamamerica.org.

If you want to get more involved in Oxfam America, you can check out their CHANGE program at http://www.oxfamamerica.org/whatyoucando/take-action/student-action/change.

The CHANGE Program is a student leadership program that "develops capable leaders, who are informed voices for positive social change, and who inspire greater global awareness in others." As a CHANGE Leader, you become more informed about issues surrounding poverty, hunger and injustice and learn how to spread awareness and activism about these issues on your campus.

As a CHANGE Leader Alumni, I can say that this was an amazing experience that taught me a lot. Not only that, but you get to meet college students from all over the U.S. who are just as passionate as you about creating change.

If you are interested in finding out more information about the CHANGE Program, feel free to contact me at hilln@my.easternct.edu and I would love to tell you about my own experience!


~Nicolle Hill, CCE Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment